WLMH ORs Reopening September 14
Critical safety upgrades required in the WLMH operating rooms (ORs) are now complete. Activity in the ORs will gradually resume, starting the week of September 14.
Patients will soon be able to receive high-quality procedures closer to home, in an environment that meets standards for safety and infection control.
Which services will be provided?
Services resuming in the coming weeks include:
• Endoscopy procedures
• Gynecology and general surgery cases, addressing the backlog created by the province-wide COVID-19 surgical shutdown
• Elements of obstetrics services, such as scheduled cesarean births
We continue to focus on building up OR nursing staff levels to increase on-call capabilities at WLMH and support more surgical services over time.
What does this mean for patients?
Patients will be contacted by their health-care provider about scheduling their procedures.
Additional information for obstetrical patients is available here.
We appreciate everyone’s ongoing patience and resilience while these necessary safety upgrades were taking place.
What’s coming up this fall?
Work is progressing on a number of priorities at the site. Here’s a look ahead to what’s happening in the coming months:
- Surgical activity gradually resuming in WLMH ORs
- Construction starts on CT scanner suite
- Building a New WLMH – Stage 2 submission on track to share with Ministry of Health for review and approval
- Two-Year infrastructure project wrapping up – three months ahead of schedule!